Chaos of Creativity

Being creative is not neat. It is not tidy. There is no linear circuit or smooth straight pass on the road to imagination.
It is messy-much like a teenager's room with the rumpled bed, hidden Twinkies, beloved stuffed animals, loud music, secret diaries with tiny keys and your favorite faded jeans rescued from mom's ironing board.
My writing room (which I share with my husband Rick, who is also a writer) is stuffed with piles of books and magazines, file cabinets, two computers, two printers, cork boards covered with writing charts, cards and colorful fantasy/science fiction prints. My desk is clogged with overstuffed notes and chapter drafts, little dragons and pewter figurines of sorceresses and stuffed animals. Stacks of Cd's teeter by the stereo to provide inspirational music for battle scenes.
But it is within this condensed madness that my mind flows clear. It is my imagination wellspring that draws out of stories I type out, even when my cat Duncan insists on helping me by flopping between keyboard and monitor to oversee my efforts. This is what makes me happy. I have a small green toy baby cthulhu propped up on my stack of folders, guarding my ideas and a stuffed toy sloth in honor of Buzzy hanging from the desk and an large stuffed owl that so reminded me of Belwyn, it sits above me on the desk shelf making sure I do not abuse my adjectives.
It is not crowded to me. It is my comfort zone. All writers need a comfort zone. You need to find out what your comfort zone is and dive in. Maybe some of you are very uncluttered and work only in pristine monastic conditions. Some of you are more crazy- like me. But we all need to find that creative space to achieve our goals-which is to write!
Write people! Because when you are a writer, that is the only thing that makes you happy in this world. Just find out where it works for you and dig in.
Baby cthulhus make great guardians by the way.
More later.
Verna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tree of Bones Release, Goblin Rant: The Curse of Tropes, & Writing On Empty

A Familiar's Tale Reborn, War Poet, & Goblin Writing Guides & More