Writing Resolutions & Mental Yoga




Greetings Familiar Friends,

Along with a recent promise from my publisher, Joe D, that we have the book cover in good hands for Tree of Bones (my 2nd novel in my Familiar's Tale series) and the end of the year looming, I am feeling hopeful about the coming New Year.  I admit I have been a bit lazy and unfocused in my writer's journey.  If you think about it, writing is a lot like yoga.  It is a practice in which perfection is never an issue.  It is about growth and becoming a better you.  Writers suffer a great deal from the pitfalls of the art-stress, rejection, delays, edit hell. 
But we continue despite this imperfection.  The more we write, the more we improve as writers.  It is a journey that never ends.  It is not a linear craft.  It is a craft of many changes and starts and stops.  But, if we are talented, we grow and improve as authors.  Your imagination and skill stretches and expands.  Yoga is much the same way (along with being a salvation after hours of sitting in front of a computer).  Yoga is journey and so is writing.  It is mental yoga.  It will always get better and you will get stronger and more flexible.

So I am determined that 2014 will be a better year on all levels.  Writing is at the top of that list.   I will do better with my writing.  So here is my author resolution.

1.  I will write-I will finish  my various novel and short story projects.
2.  I will not blame crappy week for being lazy.
3.  I will not procrastinate.
4.  I will find an agent.
5.  I will become a successful author.

I am stopping at 5 for my writing resolutions because 5 is suppose to be a lucky number for me.  I will have other resolutions for 2014-but this is my literary list of directives.  Have a fun and creative New Year. 

More later.

Verna McKinnon

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tree of Bones Release, Goblin Rant: The Curse of Tropes, & Writing On Empty

A Familiar's Tale Reborn, War Poet, & Goblin Writing Guides & More