Trolls, Ogres and Monday Morning

Monday....I feel sensitive to sunlight like a troll, if you go my the mythology of Tolkien, and want to crawl into a dark hole and hibernate  Oddly, I have not had anything with alcohol this weekend and have eaten rather well (we will not discuss the chocolate cake on Friday night) but the creative mind is angry when you shut down and do not work like you promised.   
By work of course I mean my writing.  The composition of epics is time consuming.  I bow to any writer who has created and published multi-volume epic science fiction and fantasy masterpieces.  I have many of these literary giants on my book shelves.  They include George R.R. Martin, David Eddings, Tolkien, Glen Cook, Tanith Lee, Roger Zelazny, and Larry Niven-to name a few.  I want to be just like you when I grow up.
Procrastination with a dash of lazy is common among writers and it is easy to fall into that black hole.  The odd thing is that once I force myself to open my laptop, I can stay there in writing bliss for hours. I am not aware of the time slipping away as I am in my happy place creating magic and battle scenes with a favorite soundtrack blasting in the background.  Of course, when I am done I feel like a  bit like a creaky ogre-hunched over, twisty and stiff.  I have discovered yoga is a must for those of us that write.  Otherwise I would not be able to stand up straight. 
But I am happy.  A author is always happier when they write, even if they end up feeling like a cranky ogre.  It's a balance I think.  So next weekend I shall march into my writing haven and create some literary magic.  And do some yoga!  More later.

Verna McKinnon
    

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Familiar's Tale Reborn, War Poet, & Goblin Writing Guides & More

Tree of Bones Release, Goblin Rant: The Curse of Tropes, & Writing On Empty

Norwescon 45 & The Bastard Sorceress News!