Tales of Obsydian Nights

Hello Familiar's Tale Fans!

I have posted the first of several short stories set in the world of  "A Familiar's Tale" in my featured story section of my website.  "The Bloodstone Queen" is the first story and recounts the birth of the dark immortal
Queen Obsydia.  These stories are set a thousand years before Gate of Souls, A Familiar's Tale book One, but are very integral because it reveals important events of this world's past and also many important characters that are central to my current book series.  Every world has a past and this one is a stage of darkness where light was challenged.  You will meet a young Cathal and Belwyn, Neelam the Wizard and his familiar Surya, who are important characters in books 2 through 4 of my Familiar's Tale series.  You also will get to know first hand Obsydia, who will be a major force of wickedness in books 2-4 of my book series.  My second book is coming out soon, I just wish I could reveal more. 
I first wrote these short stories as a way to build the past of my fantasy world where our heroes Runa and Mellypip (and their family and friends) are thrust into a world of intrigue and magic battles, and it helped me as a writer to fully develop the current timeline of my characters and plots even more.  Many of these Obsydia short stories were published several years ago in a web zine under the series "Tales of Obsydian Nights," and I was proud of those stories.  Some of the tales are violent and dark, much darker than my books, but provide juicy knowledge into my world and its history. 
The eras of my world are broken into time lines using jewels as a reference for each era.  The Diamond Age, where the Eternals created the universe and walked the world when it was newly made, The Emerald Age, where life evolved and developed and the first peoples and animals were born, The Sapphire Age, where all the races achieved greatness, both mortals and mages, and life was bright and full of magic and light.  The fourth age is "The Bloodstone Age, when a dark star struck the world, hurled by a jealous Ahridum, Eternal  of Darkness and Chaos.  This plunged the world into a period of despair, death, destruction, and war.  Whole kingdoms were destroyed and evil took deep root.  This climaxed with the birth of Obsydia, who became the Bloodstone Queen and ruled the world. 
Light was dimmed, but heroes fought for the Light in this terrible era of shadow and blood.  There are tales where the heroes lose and some where they win, but it all leads to the exciting prologue that you will read in Tree of Bones, which recounts how Cathal and his brave companions confronted Obsydia in a great battle a thousand years ago.
Her fate is not set, however, as with most beings of immortal evil, they cannot die as we do.  We can only subdue (if we are lucky).  But even the most powerful sorcerous bonds are tested with time and Obsydia, the Bloodstone Queen, is difficult to imprison forever.

Enjoy the tales! 

Luv,

Verna McKinnon   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Familiar's Tale Reborn, War Poet, & Goblin Writing Guides & More

Tree of Bones Release, Goblin Rant: The Curse of Tropes, & Writing On Empty

Norwescon 45 & The Bastard Sorceress News!